You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum updated

We have recently updated our forums system, and we have cleared all spam topics and users. In case we accidentally deleted your account, please register again. If you miss a topic you have posted before, please let us know.

Post new reply

Cervenka Consulting Forums → ATENA → Symmetry → Post new reply

Post new reply

Compose and post your new reply

You may use: BBCode Smilies

All fields with bold label must be completed before the form is submitted.

Required information for guests

Required information

Topic review (newest first)

Dear ali,
if you seek help with your particular modelling, please follow ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us some sketches/photos + description explaining what you are modelling.

If the bar splicing is your main interest and the connections are not symmetrical, it clearly does NOT make sense to exploit that symmetry in your analysis.

Moreover, I also recommend Troubleshooting, 2.2.11 How can I take reinforcement bond into account?

Regards.

Actually, I am studying global effect of lap length, peak load, failure mode etc.

For short lap length, it is supposed to be fail in bond.

I am modelling four point bending test  having lap in constant moment region.
I have a concern in exploiting symmetry in case of laps.

Thanks

Dear ali,
I assume you are asking about reinforcement bars which are not continuous, but from 2 or more segments connected in some way (typically, there is an overlap where the bar segments run parallel along each other, just bound by some thin wire holding them in place during casting of the concrete)?

Do you expect bond failure in that region to be important for the global response? If not, I would start the modelling with a single continuous bar, neglecting the possibly weak splice connections, and checking the bar stresses in postprocessing to make sure the assumptions for this simplification are valid.

Regards.

Hello All,

I want to exploit the symmetry in case of splices.

My concern is how does software knows, e.g. bar 1 has to end here and bar 2 has to be continued till end.

I mean, do we have to be apply any condition in case of splices, or we can exploit symmetry as usual.

Thanks

Cervenka Consulting Forums → ATENA → Symmetry → Post new reply