You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum updated

We have recently updated our forums system, and we have cleared all spam topics and users. In case we accidentally deleted your account, please register again. If you miss a topic you have posted before, please let us know.

Post new reply

Cervenka Consulting Forums → ATENA → Spring Definition → Post new reply

Post new reply

Compose and post your new reply

You may use: BBCode Smilies

All fields with bold label must be completed before the form is submitted.

Required information for guests

Required information

Topic review (newest first)

Dear dpryl,

That make sense for me. Thank you very much.

Regards.

Dear msmeleven,
1. spring strain -1 means compressing to 0 length, and going further would correspond to extending in the other direction (after flipping inside-out), which is not implemented properly in the program as far as I know.

2. In general, for deformations outside of the defined range, the value from the closest defined point is used. E.g., if your last defined spring stress is 5MPa at 0.1 strain, it remains 5MPa at 0.2 and even at 1.0.

Regards.

Thanks dpryl for your reply. That was helpful.

I have another question:
If the spring material was defined as linear elastic, the relative displacement can only ranges between -1 and 1 and cannot exceed these two limits. Accordingly, the applied stress by the spring cannot exceed the stress correspondent to relative displacement of -1 or 1.
Is this is true ?

Dear msmeleven,
please see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.16 How can I model a compression-only support with nonlinear springs?

If you are interested in some background information, you can also see ATENA-GiD User's, 5.3.7 Spring material (although the corresponding dialogs are different from those in ATENA Egr 3D).

Regards.

Hello,

I am using ATENA 3D.

I read ATENA documentations and I did not find clear explanation on the spring definition.
As I understand, the spring materiel is defined by the stress vs relative displacement, and the slop is the stiffness of the spring. I hope that this is true.

could anyone tell me how the spring behavior is effected by its length and area or thickness. What would be the reference in practical application to define these values (length, area, thickness)?

Thank you.

Cervenka Consulting Forums → ATENA → Spring Definition → Post new reply