Topic: FRP confined concrete column

Sir,
I received this message when I run the program ' Illegal element type specified for the shell/plate micro element (quadratic brick). I followed your suggestion in which to  model the FRP wrapping the quadratic brick need to be used. The location of micro element where this massage appear is at the corner radius of square column.   Please help. Thank you.

Re: FRP confined concrete column

I assume you are using ATENA 3D Engineering.
In the current version, shell elements are only available in form of quadratic brick elements. Brick elements can only be generated for macroelements that are topological cubes, i.e., have 6 surfaces of 4 nodes each.

For the corner connections of the shells, please follow the ATENA 3D User's Manual, section 3.8.2.2.7 Shell macroelements, paragraph Recommended shell connections. Moreover, make sure the local coordinate systems of the connected macroelements are compatible, see "How to model carbon or glass fibre wrap (CFRP, GFRP) strengthening in ATENA?" in our Frequently Asked Questions http://www.cervenka.cz/faq

Re: FRP confined concrete column

Yes, it works, i devided the corner radius into few elements , each element has 4 nodes. Thanks.