Topic: Displaying max shear stress in the post-processor

Hi, I'm using ATENA 3D. Is there a way to plot the maximum shear stress? I'm only finding tau xy, tau yz, and tau xz. I'm also curious about the 12 component options under principal stress. What are the 9 V components that have length units? Thank you.

Re: Displaying max shear stress in the post-processor

What maximum shear stress do you wish to show? In the coordinate system corresponding to the principal stresses, the shear components are zero by definition - do you like to specify some coordinate system different from the global one, and calculate the stresses in that general coordinate system?

The "V" components are the direction vectors correponding to the principal stresses (principal directions).

I would like to be able to plot the maximum shear stress that is the difference between principal stresses divided by two.

I am afraid this is not directly available from ATENA. Please export the text results for principal stresses, import the values into a spreadsheet, and do the simple calculation there.
It should be also possible to calculate and directly display this in the GiD Postprocessor using the Window - Create result command.

Alright. Thank you.