1 (edited by Teresa 2016-06-27 04:27:25)

Topic: initial strain

I have an quenstion on the initial strain in Conditions. Initial strain in atena has only strainxx, strain yy and strainzz. But strain is a tensor, and should have six components. I'm confused about it. As local coordinate component on initial strain is not provided in GiD, if strainxy component is nonzero, it seems that there is no way to define it in GiD or ATENA.

I also found some small bugs in the software. First, inGiDpostprocess, Totol Element Initial strain has only UnifX, no UnifY. AtenaWinpostpocess and ATENA3D postprocess, can select UnifX and UnifY. Second, I know how to ouput all stress components of interested nodes in AtenaWin postprocess, however, in GiD preprocess/Conditions to define Monitors for stress, only components xx, yy and zz are available, no shear stress components.

Re: initial strain

Dear Teresa,
1. the initial strain option in ATENA is intended for prestressing and shrinkage, where the cables only have a single component (XX/Dir-X) or the volume or surface are subjected to the same value in all 3 directions. You seem to wish to (mis?)use the option for something else - please explain such that we may recommend a way of modelling (also based on Initial Strain or possibly not using it at all).

2. We recommend using ATENA Studio for postprocessing ATENA Science models unless you have special needs not (yet) covered by ATENA Studio (please explain).

3. In the current ATENA-GiD scripts (5.3.4.13214 development) I see components Dir-X, Dir-Y, Dir-Z, Comp-4, and Comp-5, Comp-6 in the Monitor for Point definition dialog and I do not remember this being changed recently = please install the current distribution ATENA 5.3.3c and let us know if you still miss some components.
You may also wish to see ATENA Studio User's, 4.4 Output Data Attributes for more information about the components (the current version of the document is available from our web under Products - ATENA - Documentation).