1 (edited by thiyagartr 2016-09-12 07:17:42)

Topic: Generating monitoring point

I'm trying to model non-linear pullout behaviour of threaded anchor in concrete. Since its a threaded anchor, the number of macro elements is high and a problem arises in generating mesh and also if I generate a compatible mesh I get an error message " out of memory". After going through troubleshooting manual came to know that this error is because of low ram capacity but I'm actually using a workstation with 32gb ram. MY model itself has a memory of 300mb. I need a solution for this, like if there is any methodology i can adopt so that the memory of model is reduced sufficiently or any other means of running the analysis. Also almost half a time the monitoring point is not getting generated so that I cannot plot a graph as I couldn't get any value at desired location. Kindly give me a solution these two problems as soon as possible.
Thank you

Re: Generating monitoring point

Dear thiyagartr,
1. please first see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.4.1 Out of memory error during ATENA analysis and 2.2.17 The analysis runs too long. How can I speed it up? for a few basic related tips.

2. Make 100% sure you are running the analysis using the 64-bit version of ATENA. If you have created your model in ATENA Engineering (which is only available as a 32-bit application), see Troubleshooting, 4.3.1 I have an ATENA Input File (.inp), how can I start the analysis in AtenaWin or AtenaConsole or ATENA Studio?

3. Consider if it really makes sense to explicitly model the thread geometry. The usual way in similar cases is the following: 

3.1. First model a representative part of the thread-concrete contact including small volumes of both materials. Analyze it for 2-several different combinations of normal + shear loading, covering the expected situations.

3.2. Prepare a simplified model of the above using a flat Contact, adjust the Interface Material properties as long as the response in all the load combinations from the above is reasonably approximated.

3.3. Use the simplified Contact modelling from 3.2. in your full model.

4. You may also be interested in reading Troubleshooting, 2.2.14 I have problems when using the Interface (GAP) material on contacts.

5. Regarding the monitoring points, please see Troubleshooting, 2.1.13 A monitoring point shows no value, the program gives me an error on reading a monitor value for the most common reasons and solutions. You may also be interested in Troubleshooting, 2.2.19 How can I monitor a surface (or line) load?

6. If you still can not solve the problems, you can follow the instructions from Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us your model along with sketches+explanation of what you are modelling.

Best regards.

what should be the material definition of epoxy adhesive in pullout behaviour of adhesive anchor. The load im getting not even near what im expecting. currently im defining the epoxy as elastic isotropic material. Kindly reply me asap
thank you

Dear thiyagartr,
1. it is not clear from your question if you have already checked for the most common problem sources discussed in ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.18 My analysis results do not match the experiment/expectations.
How can I improve my model? 

2. You may also wish to read Troubleshooting, 2.2.12 How can I model a pull-out experiment? for general ideas and ways of modelling for pull out tests.

3. If you still can not solve your problem(s), please follow Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us your latest model along with sketches + explanation of what you are modelling.

Regards.