Topic: Repeated loading for reinforced concrete beams

Can I model and analysis a reinforced concrete beam subjected to repeated loading?
If so, is there any specific material models and loading system for it?

Re: Repeated loading for reinforced concrete beams

Dear Shayani Mendis,
yes - please see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.26 How can I model cyclic or fatigue loading?
Regards.

Hi There,

I read the troubleshooting documents. My model is force control repeated loading system. It means I know the upper and lower load limits of my beam. I tried to apply force load case with external force monitoring points, but it did not work. How can I apply force instead of prescribed deformation and monitor the reaction forces?

Dear Shayani Mendis,
please see Troubleshooting, 2.1.13 A monitoring point shows no value, the program gives me an error on reading a monitor value - in short, with force loading, monitor External Forces, with displacement load, monitor Reactions.

If you still can not identify the problem source, please follow Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us your model etc.

Regards.

Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for your reply, I managed to monitor the load.
Could you please explain the meaning of unloading factor in CC3DNLC2?

Dear Shayani Mendis,
please see ATENA Theory,. 2.2.3.1 Unloading Direction.
Regards.

I already read that. Could you explain bit more about it?

If you have a particular question, please ask directly. Or/and maybe you can explain why/how you wish to use the feature - specific context. Otherwise, it is hard to guess which "bit more" is of your interest... according to our experience, the explanation in the documentation is exactly what most users need to work with it.

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I'm trying to validate results of a reinforced concrete beam, subjected to repeated loading. In my experiment, I applied repeated loading in three stages, before concrete cracking, elastic plastic range and closer to ultimate limit.
When I tried to model this, the only changing factor in the concrete material model (which I used for static loading) is the unloading factor. I set the factor as zero and tried to validate my results.
In first stage, there weren't any displacement change for all cycles, In second stage peak displacement showed less displacement change and valley displacements changed considerably. I think unloading factor has affected to this behaviour.
My questions are
                       1. Does unloading factor effect considerably for these issues?
                       2. If yes, how does it effect and how can I find a proper value?

Dear Shayani Mendis,
please send us your model etc. (following Troubleshooting, 2.1.1), do not forget the Load-Displacement graph.
From your text, I assume that
I. you explicitly model all cycles,
II. you load with a constant force range in each cycle,
III. the sign of the load does not change. 

Ad 1.: If there are cracks, the Unloading direction parameter can have the described influence (as it changes the tensile unloading direction).

Ad 2.: You need to calibrate it based on the data from one experiment to predict other experiments with similar material and setup.

Regards.