Topic: ATENA 2D

Dear Cervenka consulting

I am using ATENA 2D for my master thesis project work, My topic is slab on ground due to gradient shrinkage. to model the subgrade is it possible to model FEM solid subgrade or else spring as a subgrade?

for example if I model spring as a subgrade how  can I make spring which is supporting slab as a one system? and also I have to introduce Interface material between slab and subgrade how to connect between them?

for example If I model FEM solid element as subgrade how to connect interface between slab and subgrade and also is it possible to see curling effect of slab If I model the subgrade in solid element?

Re: ATENA 2D

Dear shruthip,
1. please see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.8 How can I include the influence of shrinkage? for basic information about representing shrinkage in ATENA. The document is included in ATENA installation and also available for separate download from our web (Products - ATENA - Documentation).
I suspect if the spatial differences in shrinkage (gradient) are important, you probably need to use ATENA Science to run your analysis using the Creep(+Shrinkage) module?

2. For basic information about Springs and Interfaces, I suggest to see the 2D User's Manual, 4.4.3.1 Spring Material and 4.4.3.2 Interface Material + Troubleshooting, 2.2.14 I have problems when using the Interface (GAP) material on contacts.

3. The simplest way to represent the soil under a slab is a surface spring with low tensile striffness - see Troubleshooting, 2.2.16 How can I model a compression-only support with nonlinear springs?

4. A more detailed (and complicated and labour-intensive) solution is to model some close part of the soil with volume elements (elastic or Drucker-Prager or possibly another material model), the "far" with springs (or just a normal support), and interface elements between the slab and the soil volume.

Regards.