Topic: how to model a sliding layer using small elements?

Hi, I was intended to model two concrete beams under four-point bending test, one is on top of the other, with no friction in between. As the material is concrete, I chose SBeta material. I was trying to model this sliding layer using a group of small elements, which are separate from the top and bottom beam. But I was stuck in this part. Are there any parameters I can change so that these small elements can behave differently in horizontal and vertical directions, like a totally smooth layer?

Or is it the only way to define two more interfaces between the beam and the small elements layer and then change the friction coefficient into 0?

Thanks in advance!

Re: how to model a sliding layer using small elements?

Dear lionelleen,
as far as I understand what you need, probably the simplest solution is to just place an Interface between the 2 beams (see also ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.14 I have problems when using the Interface (GAP) material on contacts).

If you have more questions, please follow Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us your model etc.

Regards.

Hi dpryl, thanks for your reply!
Actually I am trying to model a kind of interface with its property varying between "sliding" and "rigid". However, I cannot find a good simulation of e.g. half rigid interface if I choose 2D interface. That's why I was trying to use small elements. In ATENA 2D, it seems that an orthogonal material cannot be directly defined, so at last I choose the isotropic material SBeta and smeared reinforcement in one direction to model this, and the result looks good smile

Dear lionelleen, if you send us the information you have about the interface and what you are modelling in general (Troubleshooting, 2.1.1), we can (hopefully) recommend an efficient solution.

Regards.