Topic: Steel members modeling.

Dear Sir,

1. Can we model beam column connection by using steel members ?
2. Can we use the software to model a steel beam with FRP ?

Re: Steel members modeling.

Dear GSooch,
from your questions it is not 100% clear what you plan to model.

1. I assume you need to model a reinforced concrete beam connected to a reinforced concrete column, and the joint is strengthened by additional steel parts, either inside the concrete or external, anchored in both RC members? This can be modelled in ATENA, depending on the geometry and load it I would recommend to use either ATENA 2D or 3D. 

2. From the modelling point of view, strengthening a steel beam by adding a [Carbon, Glass, ...] Fibre Wrap is the same as adding it to a concrete member. See "How to model carbon or glass fibre wrap (CFRP, GFRP) strengthening in ATENA?" in our Frequently Asked Questions, http://www.cervenka.cz/faq

Dear dpryl

Thanks for reply.

Actually, I meant that I want to model steel section beam & column connection with FRP with no RC member, only steel members.

In that case, please just note the steel material for volume elements can only bilinear (i.e., ideal plastic or with hardening; the multilinear material is only available for reinforcement bars and cables), which means you have to check the ultimate strain values manually in postprocessing. I would recommend to add a monitor for max. strain and stop in the step when it exceeds the limit value.