Topic: Bond-Slip from pull-out test

I'm new to ATENA. Please tell me the procedure for modelling of Rebar Pull-out model and monitoring of bond-slip relation.

Re: Bond-Slip from pull-out test

Dear Jagadeesh B, please first see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.12 How can I model a pull-out experiment? for some basic ideas. The document is included in ATENA installation and also available for separate download from our web (Products - ATENA - Documentation). Regards.

Thank you dpryl, for your reply. I'll look into the topics that you mentioned.

Hello dpryl,
I've been working on both ATENA Engineering 3D and ATENA GiD to model pull-out of rebar in concrete. So far we came across with some errors and problems along with doubts in regards of modelling. kindly follow below

In ATENA GiD
1. Unhandeled Exception Error
2. How can I provide interface elements in between 1D reinforcement and concrete rebar?
because to provide interface we need to provide two surfaces which cannot be possible with bar as 1D reinforccement. Is it possible to model reinforcement in form of cylinder? If yes, kindly reply how?
3. I'm getting Slave nodes error, zero pivot, divergence error, invalid slave nodes, multiple thread exception occurred 2/4/6 times. After observing troubleshoot manual also, if I am able to rectify one the other is occurring frequently. I've changed the warped portion of bar from cube to pyramid, with frequent difference of stiffness (within the range of 2-20x of steel as mentioned in manual).
4. Is there any particular procedure of steps to model pull-out experiment? Kindly explain.

Thank you
Jagadeesh B
NIT Silchar

Dear Jagadeesh B,
I. if you use 1-D bar elements to represent your bar, use Reinforcement Bond (and not Interface) - see Troubleshooting,
2.2.12.1 Bar with bond and ATENA-GiD User's, 5.3.5 1D Reinforcement Material, especially 5.3.5.1 Bond for Reinforcement.

II. If you have some reasons to prefer using 3-dimensional elements for (some of) the reinforcement (Troubleshooting, 2.2.12.4 Volume elements and 2.2.12.5 Combined approach), I suggest to first look into Troubleshooting 2.2.10 How can I take the bending and/or shear contribution of reinforcement bars into account? (depending on the reasons why you prefer 3-D elements over 1-D bars).

III. If you still have problems, you can send us your latest model along with sketches + description of what you are modelling (Troubleshooting, 2.1.1).

Regards.

Sir, I have sent email. Please check them and inform if any are missing.
Thank you