1 (edited by dutta.debabrata91 2018-05-07 10:11:20)

Topic: 4 point bending test on beam with corroded and uncorroded rebar

Respected sir,

using 2D ATENA, I have modelled a beam of size 150(Depth)X150(width)X1500(length) containing two 8 mm dia rebars in both compression and tension zones each. stirrups have been provided at 140 mm spacing throughout the beam. 2 steel plates have been modelled as supports and 2 steel plates for load application.user defined bond stress v/s slip curve were input (bond for reinforcement) for bottom bars.
with increase in corrosion the peak of bond stress v/s slip curve , cross section of the bar , and the mechanical properties of rebar are reduced.
the objective of the modelling is to simulate the behaviour of beam with corroded rebar subjected to 4 point bending test.

the problem faced is that with increase in corrosion, the ductility of beam is supposed to reduce. but from the load deflection curve, it is found that the ductility increases instead. i am unable to find a solution to the problem.

please help me on this. Is this the correct way to model for corroded reinforcement?

Debabrata Dutta
HBNI, Mumbai

Re: 4 point bending test on beam with corroded and uncorroded rebar

Dear Debabrata Dutta,
1. please see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.11 How can I take reinforcement bond into account? - above all, please keep in mind that the law to be defined is Strength - Slip.

2. Please send us both models (fresh + corroded) along with some sketches etc. (Troubleshooting, 2.1.1).

Regards.