Topic: Load case with constant vertical loads and changing horizontal loads

Dear Sir,

I wanna to create a load case combined with a constant vertical load and a iterative (changing by incremental steps) horizontal load on a shear wall that rigidly attached on the ground.  If Newton-Raphson is used to conduct analyses, then the forces would be kept unchanged, while the vertical force would be changed when the Arc length method is adopted. So could you please tell me which solution method should I use, Newton-Raphson, or Arc length? Or other possible method that can me to tackle this issue?

Thank you very much!

Best wishes,
Jacky

Re: Load case with constant vertical loads and changing horizontal loads

Dear Jacky, I am not sure if I understand your question. Loads are incremental in ATENA, that means that if you apply the constant vertical load in first few steps and then start to apply the horizontal load, the vertical load remains unchanged (unless explictly unloaded or increased), regardless of what+how new loads are applied. Moreover, the Arc-Lengt method only changes (scales) the load increment applied in a step.

Are you applying a cycling load in the horizontal direction, i.e., first loading in one direction, then unloading to 0 and loading to the other side, etc.?
If so and you need to apply specific force levels in each cycle, you have to use Newton-Raphson, maybe with the exception of the last cycle where failure occurs, switching to Arc-Length.