Topic: other failure mechanisms: breaking rebar in ATENA GiD 12.0.7

Dear reader,

Lately I've been working a case with lots of rebar in it. Beam height 1600 mm. Stir ups and bending rebar.

A simpler calculation by hand shows me that the most likely to happen failure mechanism would be breaking of the bending rebar.

In a way this is also shown in the ATENA studio output. The Load-deflection diagram shows not normal deflections after the failure load is reached. 1000 mm or something. And also the strains in the rebar are like 5 %.

So my conclusion would be that the structure has failed. But then again why do I see the load-displacement graph still going up. As if there is more load to carry. Isn't it supposed to go down like in the simpler tutorial with the shear failure mechanism?

Is this perhaps caused by the fact that this problem has more rebar ( also in the area which is under compressive stress)?

What can I do about this?

Many thanks for considering my request.

Re: other failure mechanisms: breaking rebar in ATENA GiD 12.0.7

Dear MHS,
1. please first see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.18 My analysis results do not match the experiment/expectations. How can I improve my model? for some basic model improvement ideas.

2. It is not clear from your question what working diagram have you defined for the rebar steel(s)? An ideal plastic model of course can not represent bar rupture...

3. If you still can not solve your problem, send us your model etc. following Troubleshooting, 2.1.1.

Regards.