Topic: prestressing for CFRP laminates

Hi, Plz i want to know how to make prestressing for CFRP laminates

is it by change in temperature or by initial strain or stress and what material to be used for this smile

Thank you for your help and kind reply smile

Re: prestressing for CFRP laminates

Dear engomargouda,
1. it is not clear from your question if you have already read ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.2 How to model carbon or glass fibre wrap (CFRP, GFRP) strengthening in ATENA? and 2.2.5 How to model bonded post-tensioning cables in ATENA?

2. If you wish advice regarding your particular modelling, please follow Troubleshooting, 2.1.1.

3. Please tell us which of the ATENA GUEs you are working with (Engineering 3D or 2D or Science/GiD)?

Regards.

I am working on Atena Engineering 3d
Yes i have read Atena troubleshooting 2.2.2 and how to model CFRP but

My question is how to make prestressing to CFRP laminate or CFRP strips not cables

My model doesn't include any cables but it includes strengthening with FRP laminates or strips

I want to know hot to make prestressing for these laminates or strips & not the cables

In ATENA Engineering 3D, prestressing can only be applied to discrete 1D bars and cables, not smeared reinforcement. Therefore, I see 2 solutions which make prestressing of the strengthening possible:

A. If using shell elements for the CFRP, represent the fibres using discrete bars and not smeared reinforcement layers. Alternatively, use bars with bond (the first option discussed in the Troubleshooting article).

B. Prepare your model in ATENA Science + GiD and set the option "Initial strain only into reinf" (or whatever corresponds to the case you are modelling) at the Element Geometry tab of the Shell material dialog.