Topic: ATENA GiD: making a 2D model

When I try to generate Mesh I get an error message:

"Condition 'Reinforcement_Elems_Identification' has flag 'on body elements' and maybe it needs flag 'on face elements' in the .cnd file in the problem type
(or maybe the entity must be forced to be meshed by the global variable ForceMeshEntities or with explict Mesh criteria->Mesh)

Error when transfering condition 'Reinforcement_Elems_Identification' from geometry to mesh in line 5. It has not been transferred"

How can I adjust the rebar so it is integrated in de 2D model (SBETA)? Or is this not what the message means?

Also the displayed Mesh looks wrong. A lot of lines (from the elements) are going to one totally wrong point / node. How can I fix this?

Regards.

Re: ATENA GiD: making a 2D model

Dear MHS,
1. we generally recommend to first look at some of the 2D examples included in ATENA installation before you start to create your first own one. The example 2D models are typically installed in

%Public%\Documents\ATENA Examples\Science\GiD\Tutorial.Static2D

2. Please understand all entities have to be in the X-Y plane - otherwise, GiD can not detect it is a 2D model.

3. Just guessing: you have tried to generate the mesh for an unfinished model, then continued your modelling.
Some lines not belonging to any surface at the time of your first meshing attempt and have been automatically identified as reinforcement at that time, are now edges of surfaces.

In that case, I recommend to check by displaying the reported conditions, and unassign the Reinforcement Elements/Nodes Identification conditions from lines that are not reinforcement bars.

4. If you still have problems, you can follow ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us your model etc.

Regards.

Looks like problems are fixed.

question 1: The main problem I quess was that in ATENA-GiD linear 2D elements are not possible (also not trough Idealisation -> plane stress)? So I will add non-linear elements with very high strength.

The following aspects I couldn't find in any manual:
Another thing I would like to do is adding a Variable Distributed Line Load. Which I try to do with: Conditions -> Load Force for line -> Global linear -> everything zero -> to tab Linear Generation -> point A (question 2: is this the node with the lowest number? question 3: are the points related to global or local axis?) -> to point B (same questions) -> than asign.

Dear MHS,
by "linear 2D elements" you mean a 1D (bar) element, or linear mesh (=not quadratic), or the option to consider the deformed shape from the previous step (=not updating it in each iteration), see also ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.1.9 Does the non linear analysis of ATENA consider the geometrical nonlinearity (second order effects, like buckling or necking), or something else?

Point A is the point at the global coordinates entered under Point A x, y, z. Similarly, the position of Point B is defined by Point B x, y, z.

Please understand only a linear gradient can be generated / defined this way. A linear gradient is uniquely defined by the values at 2 points - which is exactly what you need to enter. Alternatively, you can define directly, without the generator tool, by setting the constant part (=value at the coordinate system origin) and the coefficients determining its change along each coordinate direction.

Regards.

5 (edited by MHS 2018-01-26 17:22:08)

I mean something else. By 2D linear I mean SOLID Elastic for 2D.

This is the structure I'm trying to model:

http://sketchtoy.com/68509421
(please copy paste the link to Firefox)

Interval 1 is for the constraints and self weight.

In interval 2 I would like to use for the constraints and for the line loads (as you can find in the sketch). But this interval doesn't give any displacements? (I'm using line Load Force For Line under Conditions.)

Dear MHS,
1. I recommend to look at the 2-dimensional examples included in ATENA installation before starting with your first own one - see the models in the directory "%Public%\Documents\ATENA Examples\Science\GiD\Tutorial.Static2D".

2. The SBETA material is plane stress. Therefore, to add a compatible 2D elastic material, choose the idealisation PLANE STRESS at the Element Geometry tab of the SOLID Elastic material dialog.

3. Just guessing: you forgot to include the supports in the 2nd Interval. See also ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.15 How to model a load combination, e.g., a constant vertical force during horizontal displacement applied until failure? The document is included in ATENA installation and also available for separate download from our web (Products - ATENA - Documentation).

4. If you still have problems, you can follow Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us your model etc.

Regards.