Topic: CFRP to Concrete Delamination Test in Atena 2D

Hello,

I'm trying to replicate an experimental test from the author Zhang, 2013 in which an externally bonded CFRP sheet is pulled out from a concrete block. The test is very similar to a video published in Cervenka's youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUPWuHPZxLA), except I'm trying to replicate it in Atena 2D.

So far I have been able to capture debonding between concrete and CFRP via smeared cracks near the concrete block border, but only up to 2/3 of the complete bonded length. Once debonding reached this point the following message appears:

(Thread 1) CCFEModelExc: The execution is killed due to violation of the iteration divergence criteria

My goal is to capture full length debonding, just like in the previous video I mentioned. Where do you think the problem might be? Could you tell me where my model and the model from the youtube video differ?

Summary of my model
--------------------------
- Concrete material: CCSBETAMaterial (Crack model: Fixed, Type of tension softening : Exponential, Shear Retention Factor Fixed= 0.000)
- Epoxy matrix material: CCPlaneStressElastIsotropic
- Carbon fiber material: CCReinforcement (Typ: Linear)
- Contacts between concrete and epoxy matrix: perfect contact
- Carbon fiber modeled as a discrete reinforcing bar inside the epoxy matrix
- Contact between carbon fiber and epoxy matrix: perfect contact
- Mesh type: quadrilaterals, CCQ10SBeta, geometrical nonlinearity, element size=0.001000 [m]
- Solution parameters: Standart Arc Length
- Load Case: Prescribed deformation (deformation steps: 3.000E-5 [m])

Best,

José

Re: CFRP to Concrete Delamination Test in Atena 2D

Dear Jose,
1. it is not clear from your question if you have already looked at the basic information related to representing strengthening in ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.2 How to model carbon or glass fibre wrap (CFRP, GFRP) strengthening in ATENA?
The PDF document is included in ATENA installation and also available for download from our web (Products - ATENA - Documentation).

2. Using Arc Length with prescribed displacements makes no sense, see also Troubleshooting, 2.4.6.1 Solution methods.

3. We generally recommend to set the Conditional Break Criteria such that the analysis stops when the convergence errors are large at the end of a step, see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.4.2 I get the message "The execution is killed due to violation of stop iteration criteria", what does it mean?

4. If you seek help with your particular model, please follow Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us the model etc.

Best regards.