Topic: Material data for young concrete with exothermy

Dear All!

The question is about modeling the thermally stressed state of a concrete structure in Atena.Creep.
I solve a test problem in Atena.Creep based on the imported results of solving a thermal problem in Atena.Transport. My intentions are to determine the stress state of young concrete, taking into account temperature deformations. On the one hand, the mechanical properties of young concrete depend on the time of hardening. On the other hand, each finite element at a certain point in time has a different temperature, which also affects its mechanical properties. Then the mechanical properties depend on time and temperature. How in this case to correctly set dependent Material data for volumes?

There is a partial opportunity for SOLID Creep Concrete to specify a configured Cementitious2Variable and manually associate the material properties with a timeline. But how to additionally establish a relationship with temperature?
But however, as I understand it, SOLID Creep Concrete material can be implemented later than curing time. How to model the "creeping properties" of concrete in the first week of its hardening?

I would be grateful for your help!

Re: Material data for young concrete with exothermy

Dear test,
1. I suggest to first of all see the related examples included in ATENA installation, above all, the models referred in the ATENA Science Example Manual, Chaper 3. TRANSPORT ANALYSIS, especially 3.2 Heat and Moisture Transport Analysis incl. Hydration.
You may also be interested in Chapter 1. CREEP ANALYSIS.

2. When importing Transport results into Creep, please see the options "APPLY IN CREEP MATERIALS" and "APPLY IN INTERVAL DATA" at the Transport tab of the Problem Data dialog, and their corresponding help bubbles.

When the temperature or/and humidity fields are applied in the creep materials, the ageing speed calculated in each material point takes these imported results into account.

3. Please understand the mechanical material models in ATENA have been developed for solid-state, and not fluid mechanics.
If you explain us what exactly you are interested in analyzing = what is to be modelled and what are the questions to be answered by the analysis (see also ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.1.1), we can help you to find a way of modelling + clear the restrictions/limitations (or maybe even discourage you from using ATENA for this task).

Regards.