Topic: Interface between two macro-elements

Hello,

I am trying to model a beam with a notch (or a dapped end beam) and I'm modelling it as three separate macro-elements:

One macro-element for the section above the notch, one macro-element adjacent to that macro-element, and then one macro-element beneath that one. However, when analyzing the beam then viewing the principal strains in the post-processor, the strain appears to be discontinuous between the macro-elements as opposed to flowing continuously between them. For example, right at the interface of the two macro-elements, macro-element 1 might have a strain of -0.002, but macro-element 2 might have a strain closer to 0.

The contact is set to perfect connection between the macro-elements. Is there a specific reason this is happening?

Thank you!

Re: Interface between two macro-elements

My nodes are all aligned along the interface between the three macro-elements as well. I've attached a picture to show what I mean:

https://imgur.com/a/K4eoCP9

Re: Interface between two macro-elements

Dear mqambar,
please follow ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us your model etc., such that we can check.

Above all, it is not clear from your post: 

1. If there is mesh compatiblity set at the internal contacts?

2. If there are no Interface (GAP) elements?

3. How large are the convergence errors (see also Troubleshooting, 2.4.2 I get the message "The execution is killed due to violation of stop iteration criteria", what does it mean? and 2.1.19 Problems reaching convergence and understanding ATENA convergence parameters)?

Regards.