Topic: Monitoring Point and Load Cases

Hi,
Being new user of ATENA I have some queries that I encountered while using this software. I would appreciate if someone answers those:

1. I have noticed that the monitor point can be assigned to a node. How can I assign monitor point for line load and surface load?

2. I tried to put monitor point on reinforcing bar, it didn't work. I took the text output for the stresses of reinforcing bars. However, text output shows the stresses at the nodes. I don't know the location of the nodes at the geometry. How can I see the location of the nodes?

3. How to apply two set of load cases. As for example: if I use prescribed deformation and want two different increment for up to pick and after pick. How to do that?

Thanks and regards
Parvez

Re: Monitoring Point and Load Cases

Dear Parvez,
I assume you work with the ATENA-GiD interface of ATENA Science.

Ad 1.: Please follow ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.19 How can I monitor a surface (or line) load? for basic information about summation monitors.

Ad 2.: If you need the Min, Max, Sum or Avg value for a bar, please use the MaxMonitor for Reinforcement Bar. If you need the values in a particular point of a bar, please use "Monitor for Point Nearest Node IP", choose IP and then Element Type: REINFORCEMENT. Please make sure to have the current version installed before assigning this.

Ad 3.: It is not clear if you have already read Troubleshooting, 2.2.15 How to model a load combination, e.g., a constant vertical force during horizontal displacement applied until failure? and 3.1.1 How to apply cyclic load? for some related information.
If I understand right that you just wish to change the step length after reaching the peak load, you just create a 2nd Interval, copying the boundary conditions from the previous one, and change the Interval Multiplier and/or the number of steps.

Regards.

Thank you for your time to reply my queries. I am using ATENA Engineering 3D. I worked today on your prescribed solution.

Ad 1: I can now sum the load outside of ATENA. This problem is solved.

Ad 2: I put monitor point on reinforcing bar IP. It didn't give any reading. To determine the concrete and steel strain/stresses at certain location I print text output. However, strain/stresses are given against respective node number.
I print out the reference coordinates of the nodes and put on a spreadsheet. I have some six thousand  nodes in concrete macroelements. I could not find the required node number close to my desired location.
How to determine strain/stresses in a particular geometric location in a easy way?

Ad3: This problem is solved.

Thanking you in advance for your support.
Regards

Dear Parvez,
ad 2.: If you wish help with your particular model, please send us the model etc. following Troubleshooting, 2.1.1.

Once you have the coordinates in a spreadsheet, it is very easy to sort/filter based on one or more of them (e.g., X or/and Y). The simplest is to sort based on X, delete all nodes above and below the region of your interest, sort base on Y, delete ..., sort based on Z, and again delete everything outside your range.

Regards.

Dear all,

I am new in the forum. I have been using Atena and I am wondering how I can extract the results of my analysis in Atena V5 3D. If I choose "export results", the software creates a .txt file which is impossible to read like encoded!!
Any idea?
thank you for sharing.
Best regards,

Mino

Thanks Dobromil. Your tips were helpful.

Regards

Dear Mino,
the Data - Results manager - Export results command saves the results in binary format (for more information, please see ATENA Engineering 3D User's Manual, 3.2.4.2 Save Step Results). For text outpupt, please use the command Files - Print text (Egr 3D User's, 3.3 File and Print Tools and ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.20 How can I see the numerical values of monitors and export them into a spreadsheet? and 2.2.21 How to get the nodal forces at 100 nodes as output in text-file or other?).
Regards.

dpryl wrote:

Dear Mino,
the Data - Results manager - Export results command saves the results in binary format (for more information, please see ATENA Engineering 3D User's Manual, 3.2.4.2 Save Step Results). For text outpupt, please use the command Files - Print text (Egr 3D User's, 3.3 File and Print Tools and ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.20 How can I see the numerical values of monitors and export them into a spreadsheet? and 2.2.21 How to get the nodal forces at 100 nodes as output in text-file or other?).
Regards.

Thank you for the assistance.

Best regards,

Mino

dpryl wrote:

Dear Parvez,

Ad 3.: It is not clear if you have already read Troubleshooting, 2.2.15 How to model a load combination, e.g., a constant vertical force during horizontal displacement applied until failure? and 3.1.1 How to apply cyclic load? for some related information.
If I understand right that you just wish to change the step length after reaching the peak load, you just create a 2nd Interval, copying the boundary conditions from the previous one, and change the Interval Multiplier and/or the number of steps.

Regards.

In regards to this section, I understand that if you are applying a gravity load, then you would only have it in one step, but what about a body force? Should a body force be treated like a support load case, which is in every analysis step, or just in the initial step and then turn it off.

Thanks for the help.

I am not sure what is your question, but I try to clear possible unclarities/misunderstandings:
1. Body force is a common way of applying the dead weight.
2. All force loads work in an incremental way. This means you increase the load by every step where it is applied.
3. A support prescribes zero displacements, which remains 0 regardless of the scaling (100 times 0 is still 0).
4. We recommend to apply even small loads in several load steps (e.g., 2, 5 or 10).