Topic: apply cyclic load on reinforced concrete beam

Hi,

I build up a reinforced concrete model which similar to the example model in Atena Science tutorial. I would like to know how to apply cyclic load on the beam, the beam is under the cyclic load which is ranged from 21kN to 74 kN at frequencies of 3 Hz.

could you give me some hint about it ?

Thanks

Re: apply cyclic load on reinforced concrete beam

Dear ab1234, please first see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.26 How can I model cyclic or fatigue loading? for basic related information (then, contact us to clear the remaining questions/unclarities).
Regards.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have viewed the tutorials and followed them step by step, but the analysis was interrupted due to some mistakes that I cannot identify.
Last time I build a plain concrete model under static load and the result (loading vs deflection graph) was pretty good, this time I tried to build a steel fibre reinforced concrete under cyclic loading ( the load range was provided by my teacher), so based on my old model, I did some modification as listed below
1) change the 'Solid Concrete' properties into 'Cementitious 2', mateiral prototype 'CC3DNonLinCementitious2Fatigue' ( i am using atena science)
2) add a monitor for EXTERNAL FORCES at the loading point
3) add six internal data ( this process I am not sure if the interval multiplier and load steps are correct or not)
4) click on 'Write Fatigue Applied Cycles Monitor' in Problem data-> global options

Please let me know if there is any mistake about these four steps and anything i need to improve. since i have prescribed force level in each cycle ( 0 kN->22kN->40 kN ->11kN ->40 kN ->11 kN), I have no idea about how to apply these loads in the 'Interval Data'. If possible, could you please give me some advice?

with best regards

Dear ab1234,
1. I recommend to also see the Fatigue example included in ATENA installation (%Public%\Documents\ATENA Examples\Science\GiD\Tutorial.Static3D\DirectTensionFatigue.gid).

2. Please keep in mind loads are incremental in ATENA (see also Troubleshooting, 2.2.15 How to model a load combination, e.g., a constant vertical force during horizontal displacement applied until failure?).

3. Please see also ATENA-GiD User's, 5.3.1.3 CC3DNonLinCementitious2Fatigue and 5.4.1 Fatigue.

4. For additional / background information, you can see ATENA Theory, 2.2.10 Fatigue.

5. If the problems persists or new questions arise, you can send us your model etc. following Troubleshooting, 2.1.1.

Regards.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. but my deflection vs number of cycles graph is a strainght line which is impossible. could you help me to check the model.

with best regards

Yes - please send us the model etc. (Troubleshooting, 2.1.1).