Topic: Cracking under compression

Hi,
I would like to know if it would be possible that Atena 3D show me the cracks under compression. In that case, what do I have to do?

Aniol C.

Re: Cracking under compression

Dear Aniol C,
it is not clear from your question what exactly you mean by "cracks under compression":

A. a structural member or specimen, loaded by compression, with some tensile or bending regions where cracks develop,

or

B. plastic damage due to compression,

or

C. something else?

In case A, you can display Cracks (+ crack filter) and/or Crack Width, in case B., you can display (Principal) Plastic Strains.

Regards.

I have a cube of 100x100x100 mm of CCNonLinearCementitious2 and I want to test it under uniaxial state of stresses.
When I apply displacements in one direction in order to simulate tensile, the cube starts to deform and when it reaches the tensile strength, some cracks appear and the programe finishes the test itself.
But, when I apply compression, the program exceeds the compressive strength and do not stops never. For example, the maximum compressive strength is -25,5 MPa and the program reaches -60 MPa and it is still working without any crack appearing on the surface or inside de cube.
My question is: there is some way the program show me that type of cracks? or, on the contrary, it is impossible to know at which step have we reached the compressive strenght?
Please, if you could answer me that question...
Thank you,
Aniol C.

Dear Aniol C,
first of all, please see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.1.10 The tensile (or compressive) stresses exceed the tensile (or compressive) strength or yield stress – what is wrong?

2. Please check if the boundary conditions applied in your model really allow uniaxial compression to develop, while blocking all rigid-body motion modes (both translational and rotational - otherwise, the equation system is ill-conditioned because the model can move without any resistance in the directions which are not blocked).

If you need help with your model, you can follow Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us the model etc.

Regards.