You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum updated

We have recently updated our forums system, and we have cleared all spam topics and users. In case we accidentally deleted your account, please register again. If you miss a topic you have posted before, please let us know.

Post new reply

Cervenka Consulting Forums → ATENA → Mesh refinement → Post new reply

Post new reply

Compose and post your new reply

You may use: BBCode Smilies

All fields with bold label must be completed before the form is submitted.

Required information for guests

Required information

Topic review (newest first)

Hello, the material law is evaluated in each integration point - see also ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.1.23 The tensile (or compressive) stresses exceed the tensile (or compressive) strength or yield stress – what is wrong?

You can not say in general if the convergence with mesh refinement is from above or below - this can differ problem from problem, model from model.

You are right large elements are more brittle once a crack starts opening. For element sizes larger than the distance between localized cracks (typically, shells), please define crack spacing to prevent unrealistic brittleness.

Hi there,

I have a RC  pile cap with a coarse mesh. I was wondering which stress is considered for cracking criteria in FE mesh? is it the stress at element surface or the average for that element?

Does finer mesh give a higher load capacity and whilst the coarse mesh is conservative?

I guess the crack will propagate in the whole element (not partially) and with the coarse mesh it will be quicker. Please confirm if that is correct.

kind regards,
Siavash

Cervenka Consulting Forums → ATENA → Mesh refinement → Post new reply