You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum updated

We have recently updated our forums system, and we have cleared all spam topics and users. In case we accidentally deleted your account, please register again. If you miss a topic you have posted before, please let us know.

Post new reply

Post new reply

Compose and post your new reply

You may use: BBCode Smilies

All fields with bold label must be completed before the form is submitted.

Required information for guests

Required information

Topic review (newest first)

Dear Matthew,
I assume you are using ATENA Engineering (2D or 3D). Then, yes, you really have to generate all the loading/unoading steps manually. However, it is quite easy as you can generate any number of identical steps at once (e.g., 2x 0.25, 4x -0.25, ...). Nevertheless, I must admit one thing remains cumbersome - selecting which for which load steps the results are to be saved.

If there are very many cycles and steps, it can make sense to use ATENA Sci and/or edit the ATENA .inp file to add some of the steps, but I guess in your case this could not save much time (if any). Direct import of load history is only supported in the ATENA-GiD interface of ATENA Science for seismogram load in dynamic analysis.

Regards,

Hello,

I'm using ATENA to model a beam-column sub-assembly under quasi-static cyclic loading. Thus far I've been using monotonic forced displacement applied to the top of the column just to get a feel for the analysis and the step size I need to use. Having determined that a step size of around 0.25mm seems to provide adequate results, I'm now trying to determine the best way to input a cyclic load history.

Because the increments need to be so small to achieve proper convergence and accuracy, it seems like a very large number of steps would be required. Each cycle would need to rise and fall in 0.25mm increments, correct? So the load steps might look something like (0.25,0.25,-0.25,-0.25,-0.25,-0.25...), in order to increase the forced displacement to the required amplitude then reduce back to zero, then increase to the amplitude in the opposite direction. Am I interpreting this correctly?

Given that this would generate a large amount of steps that I would need to input manually, managing all this within ATENA seems extremely cumbersome. Is there an easy way to do this within ATENA that I'm missing? Failing that, is there a way to import an Excel spreadsheet (or a text file) of a load history?

Thanks.