You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum updated

We have recently updated our forums system, and we have cleared all spam topics and users. In case we accidentally deleted your account, please register again. If you miss a topic you have posted before, please let us know.

Post new reply

Post new reply

Compose and post your new reply

You may use: BBCode Smilies

All fields with bold label must be completed before the form is submitted.

Required information for guests

Required information

Topic review (newest first)

Parameters dx and dy are the (auto)correlation lengths in directions x and y, respectivelly.

The autocorrelation function has the following form (squared exponential fcion):

C(x,y) =  exp[ - (length_x / dx )^2  - (length_y / dy )^2  ]

Which is the same as formula 2 in paper founde here (pow=2)

http://www.fce.vutbr.cz/STM/vorechovsky.m/papers/8j.pdf

At the moment, there is no posibility to use a different autocorrelation function.

Dear Pieterjan, we have forwarded your question to our colleagues in Brno, who are developing the stochastical part of SARA and FReET. I will post the answer as soon as we have it. Please be patient...

Thank you, I had overlooked that setting. I'm now able to generate random fields, but the control over spatial characteristics is still a "black-box".

What is the mathematical meaning of 'dx' and 'dy' (as seen in the picture https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2498198/RF.jpg) and in which manner do the relate to the correlation length theta; e.g.: exponential covariance function.

exp(-|tau|/theta)

Is it possible to user-define a covariance function?

Dear Pieterjan, in Selector, you have click in the column "Variable" to switch to "Field".

I have some problems trying to use random fields in ATENA / SARA. I first wanted to do a simple test, using an example file task.cc2 (Example file in SARA) before I modeled my geometry (of course not half).

I made some modifications on task.cc2 in ATENA 2D.

1. Added a Material with Random Fields (no file specified)
2. Setting Concrete (already defined in the example file) as the base
3. Assigning the new material to the "concrete" Macro Element"

I saved the file

I started SARA studio (v 2.2.0.7)

1. New Project
2. It was impossible to write a directory like "c://folder/..." But I could do that in the menu "options" later on.
3. Imported the .cc2 file and selected some variables (E, ft and fc) (I used a normal distribution COV  = 0.1)
4. FREET -> LHS --> General data --> 10 samples --> run
5. started the Model Analysis

I get results and the graphs that are expected in that kind of problem. But when I read in a file (_r.cc2) and I want to see the values of the random field in post-process (scalar > .. > random field values) I get a blue color and no variation, where I expect to see three random fields for E, ft and fc. but I only get "Par (1)".

Some other questions

1. How do I have control on the spatial variation characteristics? (correlation-length and covariance function, e.g. exp(- |tau| / theta ))
2. Where do I find the values of the generated fields in ASCII files so that I can replace them with known fields?

Thank you.