You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum updated

We have recently updated our forums system, and we have cleared all spam topics and users. In case we accidentally deleted your account, please register again. If you miss a topic you have posted before, please let us know.

Post new reply

Post new reply

Compose and post your new reply

You may use: BBCode Smilies

All fields with bold label must be completed before the form is submitted.

Required information for guests

Required information

Topic review (newest first)

Dear baallenba, please let us know which of the ATENA Pre- and Postprocessor you use - ATENA Engineering 2D, ATENA Engineering 3D, GiD Pre + AtenaWin, or GiD Pre + GiD Post? If possible, please send us your model - that gives us the most effective way to reproduce your problem on our computers.

I think there is a discrepancy in the units between the Pre-processor and the Post-processor and wanted to confirm this. I am using Imperial units as well (kips, lbf, in, psi, ksi).

In the Pre-processor when I apply a force to the external cable, the units displayed says Kips. I apply a 370 kip force to the external cable. Once in the Post-processor screen, looking at the cable force (in the scalars results) I am getting a cable force of 354 lbf (it is a little lower due to losses).  So therefore the cable force is dropping from 370 kip to 354 lbf.  I am having a hard time believing that the lbf is correct and that it should be kip instead.

Also when I am looking at the stresses in my section, it is listed as psi but in my hand calculations I am getting similar values but in ksi instead of psi.

I just wanted to know if this has been a noted issue previously or if the units are indeed correct between Pre and Post-processors?

Thanks,
Brett