You are not logged in. Please login or register.

Forum updated

We have recently updated our forums system, and we have cleared all spam topics and users. In case we accidentally deleted your account, please register again. If you miss a topic you have posted before, please let us know.

Post new reply

Post new reply

Compose and post your new reply

You may use: BBCode Smilies

All fields with bold label must be completed before the form is submitted.

Required information for guests

Required information

Topic review (newest first)

Then, you can send us your model, following the instructions in ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 I have a problem not listed here.

Dear dpryl

I read ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.6 but I still can't figure out the problem!

Dear mtma,
please see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.6 Floating point problems - Division by zero, Loss of >7 digits on the matrix diagonal, Warning: Sign of diagonal changed when reducing equation, Floating point exception: Multiple floating points traps, Zero or negative jacobian, InvertA: zero determinant, CCMaterials Extended AExc: CC5ParamYield F:project_stress_on_f_division by zero, and similar

Dear dpryl

during the analysis of the previous beam, the following message appears:
Warning: Sign of diagonal changed when reducing equation(****).

What does this mean and how does it affect the results?
Thanks

Dear mtma, please see ATENA 3D User's Manual, 3.7.2.2.7 Shell Macroelements (if you work in ATENA Engineering 3D) or  ATENA-GiD User's Manual, 5.3.2 Shell Material (if you use the ATENA-GiD interface of ATENA Science) for basic information about defining shell elements.

A quaote from the ATENA-GiD User's Manual:
Unlike volume elements, a single shell per volume thickness works well in bending. In other words, placing 2 or more shell elements above each other ("above" refers to the shell thickness direction) is not a good idea. Instead, use a single shell per thickness with more internal layers to improve precision.

I would further recommend to read ATENA GiD User's Manual, 5.7 Finite Element Mesh or ATENA 3D User's Manual, 3.7.4 FE Mesh for general information about meshing in ATENA.

Dear Sir,

I'd like to model a RC beam using shell elements, the beam depth is 0.55 m. Should I use a mesh size of 0.55m or can I use, for example 0.05m?. Because when I did so an error occurred saying that there is more than a single element layer in local Z direction.