Topic: Including the dead load and post-tensioning forces in load steps

Hello there,

I am using Atena 3D Engineering to model the punching shear failure in a post-tensioned flat plate, and I would like to know if the way I have specified the load steps is correct or not.

The flat plate specimen is a 3mX3m (X and Y direction) square plate with 0.2m thickness (Z direction).  There is a 0.3mX0.3mX0.5m (X, Y and Z) column at the centre of the plate which is used to apply the load until the failure of the plate (in Z direction). The plate is supported on 8 points around its outer perimeter fixed in the Z direction.  Further, there are four bonded post-tensioning tendons in each X and Y direction.

I have included four load cases in Pre-processor.  The first load case is 8 supports fixed in Z direction.  The second load case is the dead load of the concrete plate.  The third load case is post-tensioning forces.  And, the fourth load case is the displacement in the Z direction which is applied through the column.

I have specified the following load steps for Run:  the first five load steps I have included the dead load and the supports i.e. load steps 1 to 5 which have the load cases 1 and 2 with analysis step mult. 0.2. Then I have included the post-tensioning force and the supports i.e. load steps 6 to 10 which have the load cases 1 and 3 with analysis step mult. 0.2. And finally, I have included the displacement at the centre of the plate with the supports i.e. load steps 11 onward with load cases 1 and 4.   

Please let me know if this thecorrect way of including the dead load and post-tensioning in the model.

Thanks

Fariborz

Re: Including the dead load and post-tensioning forces in load steps

Hello, I miss any information about supports in horizontal directions (X, Y) in your description? Please make sure all rigid body motion modes, both translational and rotational, are blocked. If not, the model can move without any resistance, which makes the equation system singular.

As I don't know about the real prestressing sequence, I can only say that in most cases, it can be applied in parallel with the dead weight.