Topic: How to build skewed girder in ATENA

Hi

I want to simulate a girder. Normmally the cross-section is perpendicular to its horizontal axis.

However, what I want to simulate is a skewed girder, whose cross-section  has a 45 degree angle with its horizontal axis.  I tried it in ATENA, however, there is always interal error.

Could somebody kindly told me whether skewed angle girder canbe realized in ATENA?

Best wishes

Re: How to build skewed girder in ATENA

Hello,
you are definitely NOT the first one to model a skewed girder in ATENA. It is not clear from your question:

1. which of the ATENA GUEs you are using - ATENA Engineering 2D, ATENA Engineering 3D, ATENA Science with GiD?

2. At which phase you get the error (geometry modelling, mesh generation, analysis, ...)?

Best regards.

Hi,

Thank you for quick reply. I use ATENA 3D to simulate the skewed girder.

The problem occurs during the geometry modelling, and the error is "the cross section is not a planar!" so cannot be gragged along a line.

Best wishes

Hello, please see ATENA Troubleshooting, 3.3.8 Problems with nonplanar surfaces, joints not inside macroelements, etc. (I assume you have already checked the obvious = made sure the surfaces are planar).