Topic: Crushing energy in ATENA 2D

Hi,

I am modelling shear walls in ATENA 2D. I am trying to improve the plastic behavior of the walls in monotonic analysis because the models are not reaching the expected drifts.
One of the improvements is increasing the crushing energy of the concrete which, in ATENA 2D, is done by means of plastic displacement (Wd). However, changing the value of Wd did not make any significant changes in the results. Therefore, I tried it on a single element and it turned out that if I increase the value of Wd a bit, the crushing energy increases a little but if I increase it again it doesn't change anything (this is for 3D Nonlinear Cementitious 2).
I was wondering if there is a problem that doesn't let the crushing energy change?

Thank you,
Kamal

Re: Crushing energy in ATENA 2D

Dear Kamal, it is not clear if you have already followed the basic recommendations from ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.18 My analysis results do not match the experiment/expectations. How can I improve my model?

Moreover, have you already checked the failure mode of the model? Please look at the results of the last converged step to determine which material(s) and region(s) are close to failure. Typically, you should above all look at the following results: crack opening, principal plastic strains in concrete and plastic strain in reinforcement, tensile strength in concrete.

Do not forget the compressive strength is also influenced by the stress or crack in other directions (confinement, comp_red - reduction of compressive strength due to cracks).

I have already checked the ATENA Troubleshooting and checked them. The problem is when I check it for One Element only, this is the case. For SBETA model there isn't such a problem. That's only when I use 3D Nonlinear Cementitious 2 as my concrete model. You are right and many factor affect the behavior for a model, but for a single element model, you should get the concrete model as you define it. So increasing Wd should lead to a higher crushing energy.

I have spent a long time to check where the problem is and because I couldn't find it I finally checked it for a single model and noticed this.

I tried to email you the plots and models (both for single element and the wall) but I don't know why it is not delivered. I wish I could send you them so that you know what I mean exactly.

Is there a way that I could send the plots and the models for you to take a look at?

Please follow ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.1.1, to send us your model(s).