Topic: Special material

Hello,

You know my bridge system. A question that came from my collegues: can you set the torsion stiffness on zero in ATENA? Background: they like to see the influence of neglecting the torsion stiffness?

Related, is it possible to have a material with two stiffnesses in two directions different? The deck is cracked in transverse direction and compressed in longitudinal direction. When I like to use a 3D linear material it would be nice to incorporate this effect.

Is it possible to model this (theoretical material) in ATENA with a linear elastic material? perhaps with a UserMaterial? In 2D plate models like SCIA this is possible, but also in 3D?

Regards,
Evert

Re: Special material

Hello Evert, to approximate the cracked deck with elastic material, use 3D linear elastic material as a base, and add smeared reinforcement in the direction(s) with better properties.

While it is quite common to carry multiple analyses with torsional load to see the influence of some geometry or material changes on torsional stiffness or strength, I do not understand what should be the outcome of a nonlinear analysis neglecting a specific part of the complex response? Thoughts like this can be very useful with analytical solutions, but I doubt the sense of trying this with NL FEM, where the torsional stiffness is a result of the complex response, mainly influenced by shear concrete properties.

To build a model without torsion stiffness, I guess the best way would be to only use reinforcement bars (with the corresponding cross sections), disable geometrical nonlinearity, and apply the load in a single step. Of course this approach can only make sense with elastic materials.

I like indeed to do an analysis using only linear-elastic materials.

I like a beam with bending en shear stifness, but no torsion stiffness. So that way of resistance of the bridge is then neglected. If right there will no compatibility torsion occur, only in the deck. You say something about reinforcement. But I can't choose that material for the macro-elements of the ZIP-girder (inverted T-beam). Can you give a further explanation how that works?

Regards,
Evert

Start a new model from scratch, and only use reinforcement bars (truss elements) as you would define beams in beam-oriented FEM. Keep in mind that as the trusses only have axial stiffness, it is your responsibility to make sure the model is stable (i.e., not folding like a card house).