Topic: Stone Arch Bridge Numerical Analysis

Hello!

I use, and like, to work in ATENA 3D to simulate RC structures critical zones...

Now i need to simulate a masonry stone arch bridge! And my doubt is: it is possible to generate irregular macroelements to simulate the stones, working in 3D?
The most relevant problem here is the irregular shape of stones!
If you can give me some tips about  masonry stone arch bridges modelation in ATENA 3D, I'll appreciate.

Thanks a lot.
Regards
NM

Re: Stone Arch Bridge Numerical Analysis

Hello, in most cases, masonry is well enough modelled by a smeared material (bulk properties of bricks or stones + mortar, calibrated on a small region with a few bricks/stones). Is there anything specific why you can not use this approach?

I think modelling a whole bridge with the real geometry of all stones would need so many elements that it does not make sense. Randomization using SARA + random fields is also not ideal for this case because of neglecting the directionality of mortar regions. Therefore, I recommend to first model a representative volume under 2-3 typical situations (compression, bending, shear) and use the results to define a smeared material to be applied to the full bridge model. 

Regards,

Re: Stone Arch Bridge Numerical Analysis

Hello!

The question i'd made was because i'm trying to do a discrete modelation of the masonry arch bridge, and I've not still choosen the numerical software!
Maybe even do the analysis with smeared material...

Thank you for promptly.
Regards
NM