Topic: Shear Reinforcement

Hi, could any one help?

As part of my university project I'm trying to add shear reinforcement to the Leonhardt beam from the ATENA 2D tutorial, to see what effect this will have, but I am unsure how to model the shear links.

Can anyone help me with this, any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Shear Reinforcement

Hello, please see chapter 4.5.8 Reinforcement in the ATENA 2D User's Manual (how to define discrete reinforcement bars) or 
4.5.4.2 Macroelement prototype (how to define smeared reinforcement).
The parameters of the reinf. material are described in sections 4.4.3.3 Reinforcement material for bars and 4.4.3.4 Smeared reinforcement.

You can find all manuals in ATENA installation, typically "c:\Program Files\CervenkaConsulting\AtenaV4\Documentation".

3 (edited by wha1er 2011-02-23 16:38:40)

My question about shear reinforcement, that`s why I decide ask it here. Apologize in advance for my bad English.
   In a nutshell, I have the task of simulation of the experiment whose purpose was to identify the influence of the step stirrups on the plastic properties of concrete (confined effect) and then take a comparison of load-deflection curves from tests and numeric analyses.
   In ATENA 2D I have spent some experiments, but I did not see this effect, because it is not incorporated in this program a priori. Maybe there are internal methods or you have an adopted methodology to account for this effect in the ATENA 3D or ATENA Science? Perhaps you have some confined laws, because as I know, it is a very popular and well-studied theme in the RC science?

The confinement effect is normally considered in the NLCem2 material (see the ATENA Theory Manual). Of course, if you have a 2D model with plane stress assumption, the stress is zero in the third direction and no compressive stresses can develop in that direction.
I suggest to model your problem in ATENA 3D.

If the confinement model in the NLCem2 material is not enough for you, there is the NLCem3 material with more precise confinement. However, this material is only available through the ATENA-GiD interface (ATENA Science), and it usually requires very short load steps to converge.