Topic: Assign load

Hi, could you explain to me about how ATENA work with the assign load in concrete?

When i should use a plate for load assign and when is it no need so i can assign to the concrete directly?
I think that load in ATENA should use the load plate so the concrete not to be crash, as your example in beam.

i have two problem here (ATENA V2) when i got a pre-stress bridge modeling
1. The pre_stress was modeled as discrete, is it need a load plate to assign the pre-stress load? if not how it should be?
2. I would count the structure during service life, can i directly assign the load to upper structure without a plate load cause this is a distributed load?

I'm waiting your reply. thanks

Re: Assign load

Dear bram_mboetz, yes, in most cases, elastic loading/support plates should be used with nonlinear material to prevent unrealistic local damage.

To your questions:

1. Do I understand correctly you are modelling the prestressing cable as discrete reinforcement (bar or cable)? Then, you may need to include anchoring plates in your model to capture the force distribution near the anchors.

2. Line/surface loads typically do not need loading plates. However, monitoring the load requires a bit more works compared to load applied in a single point of an elastic plate. Please do not forget that the Arc Length solution method is needed in case of force loading up to or behind peak load (see the manuals for details).

Best regards.