Topic: Axisymmetrical Model

am trying to simulate an axisymmetric slab, but I am in doubt with how I introduce the flexural reinforcement.  The top flexural reinforcement consisted of 31 bars of 16 in each direction, spaced to each 100 mm, while the bottom flexural
reinforcement consisted of 21 bars of 8 mm in each direction, spaced by 150 mm. How can I simulate this kinf of net reinforcement?
Leandro Trautwein

Re: Axisymmetrical Model

I assume you are preparing an axisymmetric model in ATENA 2D Engineering (or are you using GiD?).

If the reinforcement is not distributed in a rotationally symmetrical manner (i.e., radial and circumferential bars), of course it is not possible to model it exactly using an axisymmetrical model. You have to make an approximation, e.g., select a cross section (wedge slice - tort like) and define the radial and circumferential bars (or smeared reinforcement) corresponding to that section.
Please note that in axisymmetric models, radial reinforcement bars are defined normally, i.e., by lines connecting points, only the circumferential bars look like points.

Another option is to do the modelling in 3D, representing 1/2 or 1/4 by making use of 1 or 2 symmetry planes.