Topic: Interface : Knn and Ktt

Hi,

I am now modeling a masonry panels and i would use the interface for modeling the moartar. The shear strength of the joints was obtained from standard tests on masonry triplets. The peak strength could be described by the following Mohr-Coulomb relationship: Tau = 0.71Sigma + 0.25. The mortar joints were also assigned a tensile strength of Ft=0.35MPa.

However, I do not know how to calculate the Knn and Ktt and Knn min and Ktt min.

Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate your assistance.

Re: Interface : Knn and Ktt

Hello, please follow the recommendations of the ATENA Engineering 2D User's Manual, section "4.4.3.2 Interface material" to set the initial and residual interface stiffnesses.

Hello,

I looked at the explanations section, but in case you don't have  curves (σ-δu) and (Ï„-δu). How can we estimate Knn and Ktt ?
Is it enough to just put (Ï„ = 0.71 σ + 0.25)  with C = 0.71 MPa, φ = 0.25 and Ft = 0.35 Mpa. Is it in this case Atena will calculate Knn and Ktt.

Regards

Hello, please re-read section "4.4.3.2 Interface material" carefully, especially the last paragraph. The initial interface stiffness values are to be based on the stiffness of the neighbouring elements (i.e., E / size).