Topic: Shell elements (ATENA-GiD) 9.0.4

Hi
Kindly, I want a help regarding shell elements (ATENA-GiD) 9.0.4:
I am trying to wrap a circular column using on layer of CFRP with epoxy.
I know there is some information in section 5.3.1 (Shell Material),page 14 ,Part 8 as well as section 2.1.8 (How to model Carbon....), Part 11 , page 3.
but my Qestion is where can I find any icon in GiD related to choosing the shell elements?

Re: Shell elements (ATENA-GiD) 9.0.4

Dear yamancivil, to use shell elements in ATENA-GiD, define a "SHELL Concrete-Steel" material and assign it to the volume to be meshed with shells. Do not forget to make sure 1. the volume is meshed using hexahedra elements 2. quadratic elements are selected (this setting is the Mesh menu in some GiD versions, and under Utilities-Preferences-Meshing in others). It makes sense to keep using linear elements for some regions by checking the box "Non-Quadratic Elements" on the Element Geometry tab of the corrersponding material dialog.

Hi Dpryl,
Thanks very much for reply.
Coluld you please advice us how could we make the volume that represent the shell?
Is it possible to follow: Geometry | Create | object | Circle , and the circle here could have a small thickness.
then we will extrude the circle? the now we have a volume and this volume is represent the shell then we will
define Shell | Concrete-Steel, or not?

Dear yamancivil, to be able to use shells, your volume needs to be meshed with bricks (hexahedra). Basically, the topology of the volume should correspond to a cube = 6 rectangular faces. The faces can be curved and it is possible to have some dividing lines or similar (as long as the number of divisions on opposite lines is set such that the num. of divisions of the full length lines is the same as the sum of the num. of divisions on the other side).

Although it is possible to mesh a full 1/2 or 1/4 circle with shells, I do not recommend it in this situation. To create a 1/4ring, there are several ways, most of them creating a flat 1/4ring first, then extruding it in vertical direction. For example, one can draw a 1/4arch line with the outer radius, scale it to get the inner 1/4arch, connect the endpoints, create a surface from the 4 lines (which can be then extruded).