Topic: Creat contact surface in GiD

Dear Sir,

In the mannual, it is said that the vectors of the interface lines should be checked to make them point to each other before creating a contact surface. I'd like to know if the vectors of the interface lines don't point to each other, what will be the consequences? Another quesiton is I found that when the geomerty of the interface is a closed circle and if the closed circle line is divided into several parts of arcs, there will cause mesh problems if the normal of each arc points outward; but the mesh is fine if some arcs' normals are not set to point outward. You can try the phenomenon in GiD. But I don't know how these will affect the modeling results.

Best regards,
Teresa

Re: Creat contact surface in GiD

Dear Teresa,
actually, only 1 of the normals is used when creating the contact elements, however, it is hard to guess which one of the two (GiD internal sequence of the enetities decides). If the deciding normal is wrong, you get contact (GAP) elements that are inverted, i.e., tension and compression are reverted.

Without seeing your circular model, it is impossible to guess what happens there. If you like our comments/advice abiout it, please send us your model.