Topic: rupture without yielding?

Hi,

I am currently working on my master’s thesis, about the structural behaviour of prefabricated connections with continuous reinforcement when subjected to high shear and bending, and I am facing some issues.
Previous studies have shown that three beams have ductility normal and one has reduced ductility. But by modelling them I noticed that the force-displacement graphs do not show the failure point. What happens is that each time the graph reaches the maximum force, the structure starts to decrease its force, and what was supposed to happen, as studies have shown, was the cession of the structure.  Although the maximum force its similar to the previous studies, what is good. Thus, I can not find what I am doing wrong, perhaps some parameter that I chose, and I need some help on that.
Thank you very much for your attention to all these matters.

Best regards,

Fernandes

Re: rupture without yielding?

Hello, were the experiments displacement-controlled, or force-controlled? In case of force control, of cours no post-peak response can be recorded. In case of displacement control, even if the sample is quite brittle, you should see some postpeak response. If the sample is so brittle that the reaction delay of the machine is too long to record any postpeak, you should accept more or less any analysis result with faster decrease for correct (in other words, anything except for further hardening or a ductile plateau).

Hi,

Thanks for you reply.

The experiments were displacement-controlled and I have a post-peak response. But my problem is I haven´t yield plateau previously to peak. Maybe I´m not  explaining well. I can send you a pdf attachment with ATHENA results VS experimental results?

Best regards,

Fernandes

Hello, please look into ATENA Troubleshooting, section "2.1.20 My analysis results do not match the experiment/expectations. How can I improve my model?", and if you still can not find the source of the difference, follow "2.1.1 I have a problem not listed here" to send us the graph, model etc.

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Fernandes