Topic: Problem with monitoring max Stress & Strain in Steel bar in 2D

I am trying to monitor the max stress and strain in the steel bar in ATENA Studio. I have generated the input file from the ATENA 2D but could not figure out how to add the monitors. I was able to add the monitor for concrete (integration points) in the ATENA 2D but when I generate the input file it doesn't show up there.

Can you please guide me how to add the monitors into the input file?

Re: Problem with monitoring max Stress & Strain in Steel bar in 2D

Dear Kamal2, first of all, why do you wish to run the analysis of your ATENA Engineering 2D model in ATENA Studio?
Please see ATENA Studio User's Manual, 4.3.2.2 Monitor Request, and also ATENA Trobleshooting, 4.3.1.2 Models from ATENA 2D analyzed in AtenaConsole.

Thank you very much.

I want to use the ATENA Studio because there is not an option to monitor the Steel Bars in the ATENA 2D. It also seems it is not possible to use input scripts for the ATENA 2D. Is it possible to monitor the steel bar in ATENA 2D?

Well, in general, if you need functionality only available in ATENA Science, I would recommend to do the whole modelling in ATENA-GiD, instead of switching there and back between ATENA Engineering 2D and ATENA Science...

I think if you place your monitoring point such that the nearest integration point is one on a reinforcement bar, the stress or strain in the reinforcement gets recorded (although placing the monitoring point can be tricky) - it is not clear from your questions if you have already tried that?

May I ask what analysis are you running that following the development of the reinforcement values is so interesting during the analysis? Usually, it is enough to follow the load-displacement graph during the analysis, maybe display the reinforcement stress or (plastic) strain on the structure using the colour scale, and maybe plot the reinf. values' history in postprocessing to compare with measurements.

Thank you very much dpryl.

Yes, I have tried to put the monitor point in an integration point closest to the bars before, but unfortunately it didn't give me the stresses in the steel. I am doing analysis of Shear walls with small aspect ratios under cyclic loading and I am interested in the hysteresis behavior of such walls. I have tried both ATENA 2D and ATENA 3D (with GiD) to model the walls. My results are a little different than the experimental data we have. The unloading part of the model is not what we expect and has a small pinching. The constitutive relationships for the concrete and the models available in the ATENA itself are all OK. We've already checked the strain strain of the concrete and we expect there is an issue with the reinforcement bars in the model. That's why we want to see the stress strain behavior of the bars at the end of the wall to see how they look like which gives us a vision about any issues available.

In that case, I would suggest to extract the reinforcement history from the results calculated in ATENA Engineering (2D or 3D). This means to export the results from ATENA Engineering 2D or 3D as binary step result files (see ATENA 3D User's Manual, 5.3.3.3 Save Step Results / ATENA 2D User's Manual, 2 FILE (File-Export-Binary result files)), then define and extract the new monitors in ATENA Studio (ATENA Studio User's Manual, 4.3.2.2 Monitor Request).

That worked. Thank you