Topic: Wrapping with ATENA 3D and Heat by GiD

Dear Sir / Madam,
Kindly, I am trying to model the residual post-heat compressive strength of RC circular column.  Could you please advise if we can do the heat transfer using GiD then export the results to ATENA 3D for wrapping purposes. I mean, if we do not want to do the  wrapping using ATENA-GiD.
Regards

Re: Wrapping with ATENA 3D and Heat by GiD

Dear yamancivil,
although it is possible to add the commands for importing Transport results by manual edits in the Input File (.inp) exported from ATENA Engineering 3D, I would NOT recommend it over preparing both the Transport and Static models in ATENA Science with the GiD preprocessor.

Although the meshes for the Transport and Static analyses can differ, the geometry is usually the same (or with small differences, like missing reinforcement or loading plates in Transport). Therefore, preparing both in ATENA-GiD requires less work compared to preparing each in another GUE, even if the additional work (and risk of mistakes) due to the manual edits is not considered.

Thank you Sir.
Does that mean that for example in Transport Model we will have only concrete volume and no reinforcements (vertical bars or ties) or loading plates? if yes, then how can we consider the effect of heating on reinforcement in Static model (i.e. the Static model has Concrete volume , Bars, Ties and Loading plates volumes). In this case we can not use the base to be CCReinforcementWithTempDep properties (i.e at elevated temperatures) on behalf of CCReinforcement (i.e. at ambient temperature), Because simply we can not run ATENAStudio.
The problem is in Transport Model there is only CCTransportMaterial available, if you will assign this to reinforcement (1D elements), simple after generating the mesh we will get "Info: Unknown element type was written to inp file. Find "Unknown element type" in inp file".  This is because we have ID elements (i.e. bars and ties). Could you please advise on this?   

Regards
Yamansami

Dear yamancivil,
please note the difference between
A. considering the heat conductivity and capacity of the reinforcement (which is not possible as a consequence of not including the reinforcement in the Transport model, at least unless the reinforcement is modelled with volume elements)
and
B. considering the temperature dependence of the reinforcement material properties (which is no problem at all in ATENA - just use the CCReinforcementWithTempDep material).

As already explained, mesh compatibility is NOT needed between the Transport and Static models, and the thermal (and moisture) fields are interpolated to the Static mesh, including the reinforcement.

Thank you Sir
In term of point A you mentioned, Until GiD 11.0.8 version, it is not possible to include any reinforcement in concrete volume because simple we can not run the software and it will end up with error message.

Regards
Yamansami

Dear Yamansami, we do not know about any change in GiD since version 8 which would have any influence on modelling reinforcement in ATENA - please explain (what exactly you do, what message you get).