Topic: ATENA GiD Static 3D examples

I am currently exploring the ATENA GiD Static 3D examples. Is there any way to identify the constraints and load applications other than simply clicking on the "Draw all boundary conditions" button? Identifying steps and constraints is quite difficult in GiD compared to Engineering.

I am trying to model my own simple rectangular prestressed beam (as the one in the examples provided BondCabel_injected), along with applying a surface load instead of a line load. When calculating the model in ATENA Studio the elements get squished or deforms into some crazy thing. Could you possible provide a reason for this?

Also,  I cannot seem to figure out:

1. How to correctly apply prestressing to a cable.

2. How to correctly apply a surface load - when do I use a dummy material and when not; applying the dummy material to a surface entity that already belongs to another volume with a different material; deciding to apply Load Force for Surface or Load universally for surface.

3. How to load the support constraints, prestressing and surface load correctly into the interval data to get the correct output.

4. Whether I need to create fixed contact constraints between two concrete volumes. (If I were to model an I beam for example)

I am unable to find any documentation that is able to help me.

Re: ATENA GiD Static 3D examples

Dear aliciarohr,
first of all, we recommend to first proceed with the Tutorial example before starting your first own model. If you prefer videos over PDF, we also have some tutorials in that form.

There are a few visualisation options available from the Conditions dialog.

1. Please see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.5 How to model bonded post-tensioning cables in ATENA? for basic related information.

2. You may wish to consider alternatives - see ATENA Troubleshooting, 2.2.19 How can I monitor a surface (or line) load?

3. Not sure if I understand this question, but I guess Troubleshooting, 2.2.15 How to model a load combination, e.g., a constant vertical force during horizontal displacement applied until failure? can clear at least partially. 

4. Please see Troubleshooting, 2.2.14 I have problems when using the Interface (GAP) material on contacts and ATENA-GiD User's, 5.3.6 Interface Material, especially 5.3.6.1 General Explanation on Ways of Connecting Neighbouring Volumes (or Surfaces in 2D).

If you seek help with a particular modelling, you can follow Troubleshooting, 2.1.1 to send us your model along with information about what you are modelling such that we can help you find a way.

Regards.