Topic: Dynamic analysis

Hi,
I am simulating an experiment of dynamic load to a concrete slab with punching failure. I have several general questions regarding this topic:
1) Is there any step-by-step guide to create a model in Dynamic module?
2) How to consider strength increase due to high strain rates (refer to fib ModelCode 2010 chapter 7.4.2.3)? Is it supposed to apply dynamic increase factors (DIF) in the material properties in ATENA?

Re: Dynamic analysis

pavlo wrote:

Hi,
I am simulating an experiment of dynamic load to a concrete slab with punching failure. I have several general questions regarding this topic:
1) Is there any step-by-step guide to create a model in Dynamic module?
2) How to consider strength increase due to high strain rates (refer to fib ModelCode 2010 chapter 7.4.2.3)? Is it supposed to apply dynamic increase factors (DIF) in the material properties in ATENA?

Dear Pavlo,

1. You can find a few examples of dynamic analysis in the installation (ATENA Examples/Science/GiD/Tutorial.Dynamic)

2. The dynamic increase factor for concrete l is not implemented in ATENA.  We are still working to extend the functions for the dynamic analysis and this feature will be added in the future. To consider the higher material strength under dynamic loading in ATENA, there is one option: increase the material properties manually.

4 (edited by pavlo 2021-01-21 05:56:16)

Hi Gabriela,

Yes, I found the sample models but the only one of them contains nonlinear concrete while others are elastic. This is why I asked about the tutorial. In that case, would you help me with these questions:

1) Can you provide other models with dynamic simulation which are based on experimental data (like Leonhardt or Toronto beams for static)?
2) Where can I find a practical example of damping parameters and dynamic concrete properties determination for ATENA model?

Dear Pavlo,

1) Currently, we cannot provide any dynamic simulation which are based on experimental data.

2) ATENA uses Rayleigh damping coefficients. Rayleigh damping is characterized by two constants that can be computed by the program or written by the user (see the menu Problem Data/Time and Dynamic). The method of determination of Rayleigh damping coefficients based on eigen-mode frequencies implemented in ATENA program is described in ATENA Theory manual 8.1 Structural Damping.