Topic: Modelling contacts

Hi,

I am trying to model a zero moment joint between concrete columns. The two columns are initially apart and I want to apply a prescribed displacement in order to observe the results of a non-ideal placement of the columns on site. I have used both GID and ATENA 2D, but I can't find a way to model master-slave contact elements, that are initially not in contact. Is there some way to model this with ATENA?

Thank you for your time.

Re: Modelling contacts

ATENA can not detect if/when some bodies come into contact. However, I think in this case it may be enough to define an interface with 0 tensile strength, which means the interface will only be connected on the areas with compression. Or, you can additionally add a few load steps (prescribed displacements) to separate the two columns, and the interface will only be "re-activated" if it comes back to compression during the load history.
Please note that even if the "reconnection" happens with the columns shifted along the surface, the connection will still bind together nodes which were close in the original undeformed geometry.