Topic: Hollow brittle masonry unit

Hallo!

I have to define the anisotropic linear-elastic masonry unit in ATENA 2D which is actually hollow clay block with a different modulus of elasticity and strength in the horizontal and vertical direction. Please tell me how can I do IT? I have tried with smeared option but I do not know what would be the ratio? Can I put that ratio = 1.0?

Thank you for your advice!

Kind regards

Re: Hollow brittle masonry unit

Hello dpenava, you define the weaker direction in the "matrix" material. Then, you add a smeared reinforcement layer in the stronger direction to represent the additional stiffness. It does not make any difference if you define E and reinf. ratio 10%, or E/10 and reinf. ratio 100%, except for reinforcement stresses in postprocessing. I think even reinf. ratios > 100% should work in this case, however, please make sure to test this before preparing the whole model this way (maybe there is some check in the program that does not allow such high ratios, that are clear nonsense for modelling real reinforcement).

Thank you for the instructions, but I have more questions. Can you please explain why taking the full value of E, if the ratio p = As / Ac = 0.1? Because in my case is very important to see when the clay brick break, I used the smeared as a multilinear model.

I am not sure if I understand your question - the "matrix" you define with the E modulus corresponding to the response in the weakest direction. All the matrix material values have to be related to the full volume (sometimes this approach is called bulk modulus). In other words, if you have E modulus of the clay material, it would correspond to a full brick (no openings) if directly used for the base material. If you have measured the response in some experiment and relate the force/reaction to the full crossection (i.e., not subratcting the internal voids), you have exactly what you need to put into ATENA.

For the stronger directions, a possible way is to simply take the "full clay" parameters for the multilin. law and apply the real additional cross section ratio (total cross section in the direction - cross section already included in the matrix material).